The Minneapolis SMUG had at their meeting at the Ridgedale Library, with about 50 members to welcome our speaker, Sarah Evans. Sarah gave an interesting discourse on Social Media Marketing. Sara is a college student, a photographer at Sears Photo Studio, and a Photo Assistant.
Sarah shared with us the eight goals of Social Media and Branding:
- Build a sense of membership.
- Encourage brand awareness.
- Encourage the audience to generate conversation.
- Define and maintain a competitive advantage.
- Inform the vision of you brand and build a positive association.
- Reach more consumers.
- Create a difference for ourselves.
- Encourage interaction through Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin.
She claims that Twitter is the most contemporary use of media at the moment. Its primary purpose is for information, but it requires constant attention and messages are fleeting. You can also reach a wide array clients as more people are joining Twitter daily. Linkedin also highlights recommendations from clients. It is very professional, and you are capable of connecting with other photographers and businesses.
Sarah even gave us some very valuable tips for our own social media exposure:
- Secure a consistent user name. Two of the sites she recommended for this are namechk and knowem.
- Use bait, such as coupons, to get business.
- Integrate your social media, such as what you put on Twitter, to link in Facebook and SmugMug.
- Connect with other businesses that can benefit us and we can, in turn, benefit as well. Get strategic partners.
- If you start anything on social media, you must follow through.
- Separate your personal from your business media.
When Sarah was through with her presentation, a lively interaction with the audience took place. We shared ideas, sites, and other information.
Submitted by the Minneapolis SMUG Scribe: Michele Abel
Michele is a photographer and SmugMug user. Her local SMUG has been invaluable, helping her learn about photography and the business.
Beth Evans says
Awesome information! Thank you 🙂